Many believe that within the span of the next few decades, engineers will take over the world. The notion is supported by the large number of people opting for engineering every year as their preferred choice as a career.
Despite the large influx, however, the market still lacks in engineering consultants. What is an engineering consult? It is someone who likes to analyse problems, come up with a perfect solution and work with all kinds of people. An engineering consultant is someone who is in demand for the expertise he/she brings on the table but may end up going way beyond that. Nowadays, cloud-based collaborative tools and low cost communication methods allow many aspiring consultants to start a one-man operation in the blink of an eyelid.
Why choose to be a consultant?
Engineers who shift to consulting have cited a host of reasons-many have stated ownership and autonomy over the projects as a major reason. Others enjoy interacting with the clients throughout the course of the project or the increased accountability consultancy provides.
A major worrying fact is that initially revenue might be shaky but on the flip-side, once established, you will not be limited to a certain pay grade.
Quick tips to success!
As an engineering consultant, you’ll be expected to master certain tricks of the trade and have a host of skill sets that may not even be related to your degree. Here are five tips that will aid you to achieve success as an engineering consultant,
- Market yourself:Unless you make yourself noticeable to clients, either face to face or online, they would not be able to find you. Make efforts to market yourself whether it be through attending conferences and trade shows, creating a stellar presentation with the help of a marketing expert if need be, expanding your network and faithfully following up on the people in the network. Building a good online presence is also important-get a user friendly and responsive website for your business, use social media platforms and blog regularly. Invest in SEO by getting the help of digital marketing professionals.
- Having proper tools in place:In order to impress clients or get good referrals, it is necessary to have equipment or tools that will create an elevated image of your services. Don’t hesitate to invest in a good computer system with high processing speed. Get the best internet connection as possible, utilise cloud-based collaborative tools for project management and get 3-D printers to print all kinds of prototypes.
- Increase knowledge about business finances:To stay at the top of your game, it is beneficial to learn as much as possible about income and investment. Sign up for accountant classes, find an accountant you can confide in and gather enough knowledge to make accurate quotes.
- Offer a strong point of view:People come to consultants when they themselves are unsure about an important decision they need to take. Stuart B. Brown, who has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from MIT, says, “You have to form an opinion, defend it, and deliver it competently so that people will act on it and come back to you. Why would you want to hire someone who says, ‘I don’t know. Maybe this is something you should do'”?
- Be better at “something” than anyone else:Brown also talks about the importance of thinking “intelligibly” and determining what a person would need or want in the future. This creates an opportunity to make them come to you, if you can learn everything that is possible about that particular issue beforehand.
Finally, it is of great value to your business as a consultant to ensure that your clients are as happy as possible. As cliched as it may sound, it is only by ensuring that your clients are happy and satisfied by the services you are offering that they will come back to you. Sustaining your clients and network is an invaluable practice in the field of consulting.
SolutionBuggy has helped more than 5,000+ Consultants to connect with more than 50,000+ Industries through the 950+ projects executed on the platform. The platform not only connects the expert / consultant to the industry but also provides a platform to brand oneself as a subject matter expert and gain credibility. Also the projects executed by the consultants are tracked and the feedback recorded on the platform, which helps the consultant to build a brand for oneself.